A possible link to the word ANKAR

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
Slater
Adeptus Exemptus

A possible link to the word ANKAR

Post#1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:49 pm

Last night whilst reading the Heptameron over dinner (as you do :)) I came upon something I was stunned to have missed previously in all the kufuffle over the word, ANKAR . Keeping in mind the words of power in the NAP are written phonetically, here is this little snippet:

Ancor, Amacor, Amides, Theodonias, Anitor, by the merits of thy Angel, O Lord, I will put on the Garments of Salvation, that this which I desire I may bring to effect: through thee the most holy Adonay, whose kingdom endureth for ever and ever. Amen.

Obviously ANKAR and ANCOR are spelled differently but seeing as the former is a phonetic, I am going out on a limb here and suggesting there may be a tie-in of sorts. This is to date the most plausible reference in the old literature I have encountered.

Abano is in Italy, and although the Heptameron is written in Latin, this is likely to be due to the author's ties to the Catholic church rather rather than his ignorance of the vernacular Italian Language which was in use at the time of the writing of the Heptameron. The line in which it is included is presented in the Latin and the English translation "as is". Suggesting it is not Latin anyway. Obviously there are a few Greek words in the first line as well.

Now, this word in Italian translates to the word "even". In the NAP this would mean "Even God" or "Even YHVH". the word even in this case being expression of inclusion. "Including or directly addressing YHVH".

Crowley appropriated this line (as is) and combined it with some Enochian as well for his Goetic works.

What do others think? Its a long bow I am drawing, I realise :D

I could be barking up the wrong tree here, but even if I am wrong, it might lead others closer to the truth in some way?
The line in this case and in the Goetic writings is in relation to the donning of the garb so to speak and the beginning of the rites. Similar to where the line sits in the NAP ritual.

IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Re: A possible link to the word ANKAR

Post#2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Nice find.

All I have to say is, of all the words in NAP those are the ones that are most daily powerful & useful in terms of my own practice, and anything that illuminates them is welcome, because undoubtedly the system works as a stand-alone thing, but I want to know the background, and that's an interesting and possibly major part of the puzzle.

Thanks!

IOx
"...there's no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Captain James T Kirk

Super Celestials
Adeptus Minor

Post#3 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 pm

That is quite interesting -- not having a clue and long before this thread had been created, I just thought it was related to the Egyptian Ankh -- but the amusing part of all of this is that it still works remarkably well even though its clear that many of us don't really know the meaning of that word! ;)

IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Post#4 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Super Celestials wrote:... the amusing part of all of this is that it still works remarkably well even though its clear that many of us don't really know the meaning of that word! ;)

Agreed - and looking at it like that, not for the first time, I find myself wondering if too much knowledge about meanings etc can SOMETIMES undermine the emotional investment and trust/faith needed for successful magick? :?:

IOx
"...there's no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Captain James T Kirk

armchairmage

Post#5 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:36 am

Imperial arts[1] suggests in his book - which is currently the first 'hit' that comes up if you search google using "ancor anky imperial arts" - that the words of the vesting prayer may in fact be Hebrew and that 'ancor' could be ANKY (upwards).

A

[1] http://imperialarts.livejournal.com/

liam517
Neophyte

Post#6 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:24 am

i think it's lovely that youre reading it over dinner.

-Liam

Topic author
Slater
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#7 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:03 pm

liam517 wrote:i think it's lovely that youre reading it over dinner.

-Liam

Thanks. We have a rule in our house that dinner time is ye olde grimoire time. :D
Its a great way to teach the kids too. I take pride in the fact that in year 1 my daughter could not only spell pentagram...but she was proficient in the banishing ritual thereof :) (kidding)

SeventhSin
Practicus

Post#8 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm researching the word "ANKAR" myself and although this seems an old thread I'd throw my 2 cents in. We need to keep this going until we get to the bottom of the problem.

Now I'm not Italian, but as far as I know, if one wanted to say "Even God" in Italian he would say it "Anche Dio". If you look up the word "ancor" in any Italian dictionary, you wouldn't be able to find it.

Example:
http://www.wordreference.com/iten/ancor
Example:
http://www.dizionario-italiano.it/dizio ... emma=ancor

I think we have stumbled upon a mistake in the Google Translation API, because if you ask it to translate "even God" to Italian, the translation goes like "Anche Dio" but if you try to translate "Ancor Dio" to English it would say "Even God". They have clearly mistaken "ancora" (which is a valid Italian word) for "ancor". A typo maybe.

SS
All I need to win is an unfair advantage.

amaetha

Post#9 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:40 pm

In sanskrit anakara is "shapeless"

अनाकार anAkAra adj. shapeless

Ariel
Neophyte

Post#10 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi

I was fishing around about this word and recalled it to be the same as
the second two syllables of the Eckankar organization. I think this means assistant or servant to G-D.
There is also a powerful Kundalini chant Ek Onkar....Onkar here means unity of G-D.

So, in all, it's probably a G-D thing :angelic