Sepher ha-Razim was an influence to Dee?

General Enochian Discussion.

Topic author
Coma of Loss
Philosophus

Sepher ha-Razim was an influence to Dee?

Post#1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:57 am

Reading through the text I've noticed several similarities.

First Key: "I reign over you, saith the God of Justice, in power exalted above the firmaments of wrath."

ShA: "The name of the first firmament is called Shamayim. Within it are encampments filled with wrath".

Names of angels listed in the SHA: BWMDY, KRBY, BRQW, etc. which seems awfully similar to the angel names in enochian. The names in ShA are obviously written in hebrew, which makes them look like that written with the latin alphabet, so I'm not too sure on that.

It lists angels of medicine and angels who will reveal secrets of men, again awfully familiar.

Then there's the conjuration of angels of interpreting dreams:

ShA: "I adjure you by the One who measured the waters in the palm of his hand... "

Key One: "Which measureth your garments in the midst of my vestures and trussed you together as the palms of my hands."

The descriptions of the angels are very similar in tone with the Keys:

"Dread is theirs and fear where they walk, and their appearance is full of wrath, ... and their voice is like the voice of thunder and in their hands are rods of fire and their faces are like the sparks of fire and fire comes forth from their eyes..."

Then there's the whole thing of number seven being extremely important in ShA, but that is too common in magical texts to have significance.

What do you think? Sepher ha-Razim has been dated to the early fourth or late third century, so it's possible that Dee had a copy in his possession.

Maybe I'm seeing similarities where there are none. Or maybe the translator was influenced by the text of the Keys and chose his wording to be similar. :thinking
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein "Become such as you are, having learned what that is" - Pindar
http://center-of-nothing.blogspot.com

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login