Some questions before I begin NAP

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
31 Sword Illusion

Some questions before I begin NAP

Post#1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm interested in doing the Miracle of the New Avatar Power ritual “Chant to Bring Health” (for myself in this case). In Donald Michael Kraig's book Modern Magick, he says it's necessary to do a divination before performing any magickal rituals, to determine the effect and the outcome of your magick (and to hence avoid performing black magick). In performing a divination in this instance, how would you go about phrasing your question?

“What will be the outcome if I perform the 'Chant to Bring Health' from the book 'New Avatar Power,'
starting today and stopping either after the period of 31 days or until I feel that I've been healed (which ever of the two ends up occurring first)?”

Next, if the divination appeared negative the first time, would it be okay to ask the question once each subsequent day thereafter, until a positive indication is given in the tarot spread? Or would it be wiser to wait a few days before posing the same question again (I don't know whether the forces that be would see it as pestering if I were to ask once each day until I received a positive indication; or whether such course of action would be deemed perfectly acceptable by them).

Third, should I add to the statement, “and harm no one or thing..” to the tail end of the “Chant to Bring Health?” On page 134 of Konstantinos' Summoning Spirits, he states: “Also, if you request anything more than information from an entity, you have to include a clause that commands the entity to harm no one while performing its task....” “...Most entities in the universe have little or no concept of the difference between good and evil. If they are commanded to do something, they will look for the easiest way to accomplish their goal.” On page 135: “ Word you commands to entities, or even candle spells and talismanic charging rituals, so they include a clause about not having anyone come to harm as a result of your ritual.”

And fourth, should a closing banishing/purification and License to Depart be performed after doing the “Chant to Bring Health” Ritual (Frater U.D. mentions doing such in his book High Magick); or is this unnecessary in working with the NAP current?

Thank you all for your time and advice.

Topic author
Vrischika

Re: Some questions before I begin NAP

Post#2 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:09 pm

31 Sword Illusion wrote:I'm interested in doing the Miracle of the New Avatar Power ritual “Chant to Bring Health” (for myself in this case). In Donald Michael Kraig's book Modern Magick, he says it's necessary to do a divination before performing any magickal rituals, to determine the effect and the outcome of your magick (and to hence avoid performing black magick). In performing a divination in this instance, how would you go about phrasing your question?

“What will be the outcome if I perform the 'Chant to Bring Health' from the book 'New Avatar Power,'
starting today and stopping either after the period of 31 days or until I feel that I've been healed (which ever of the two ends up occurring first)?”

Your example sounds good, although iirc Kraig himself used a more simpler example, e.g. "what will be the outcome if I use magick to..."

I don't think you should worry too much, worst that can happen is that the chants will have no effect. Often the more energy you invest the more results you'll reap. Too much doubts and we will block our energy from manifesting good results.

And fourth, should a closing banishing/purification and License to Depart be performed after doing the “Chant to Bring Health” Ritual (Frater U.D. mentions doing such in his book High Magick); or is this unnecessary in working with the NAP current?

As far as I remember I've never done a banishing after NAP rituals. After healing work it might actually be beneficial to let the energies sink into your system and not banish them. Just IMO.

Topic author
Reject Dogma

Post#3 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:20 pm

The big problem I see here is that you're mixing advice from four different sources rather than just sticking to one. I understand the inclination, but let's phrase this differently.

Let's say that you want to learn how to defend yourself, so you're going to start hitting a heavy bag and working out to get in better shape. On the one hand you've got the punches you learned in Tae Kwon Do that you're comfortable with, but you've read/seen that western boxing has more effective handwork but everything from stance to balance to movement to the punches themselves is totally different. You don't want to develop any bad habits, so what should you do?

Then there's conditioning. Lots of people work out with weights which seems the obvious choice when mixed with 20+ minutes of aerobics, but there are a noisy group of amazingly in-shape people who say that getting into "fighting shape" is easier if you're focusing on body weight exercises with lots of sprints rather than aerobic exercise. So what should you do when training?

Then there's the issue of the 30 pounds you need to lose, so how should you diet?

I can go on. The point is that there are a lot of valid paths to get from where you are now to where you want to be. Pick one system and stick with it until you understand it and you can make some judgment about it, and if you're not happy with it try something else. Trying to balance multiple systems in your head and make them all work together is a guaranteed path to inaction.

Commit to something for 6 months, then reevaluate.

vovin
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#4 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:47 am

My only advice to you is to stick to NAP exactly as it is written. Its ok to substitute a few things once you have a good few months under your belt of working with the Book. But in my experience it works perfectly well just as it is.

V
Vovin
Remember 'For the Man of Religion, Believes in God, The Magician, Knows God.'
(Ars Solomonis)

Super Celestials
Adeptus Minor

Post#5 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:52 pm

I understand your concerns, but the NAP book was authored with great care. I personally do not add anything to what was written and do them with an open-hearted, almost child-like trusting approach.

Everything I have done from that book and from Gray-Cobb's "Mystical Grimoire" has worked out very well in one way or another for me and looking back, I would not change a thing even if I could. ;)

Topic author
31 Sword Illusion

Post#6 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:13 pm

Thank you Vrischika, Reject Dogma, Vovin, and Super Celestials :) . I'm now breathing a big sigh of relief thanks to you all :) .

My gut instinct was telling me that I was making things a lot more difficult than they needed to be, but I needed to hear it voiced from established practitioners like yourselves (whom I have a great deal of respect for), before I could really believe it. I'll follow NAP exactly as it is written (and will refrain from over-thinking it). Thank you everyone for clearing up my confusion and for all of your input. I really appreciate it.

BrotherButterball
Adeptus Major

Post#7 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:00 am

Well, 31 Sword Illusion,

I can almost hear Geof Gray-Cobb's words in my ear:

"Relax, unwind, and let go."

I believe that he wrote that sort of gateway ritual as a form of self hypnosis.

The more you relax, unwind, and let go, the easier the results may come.

This whole process somewhat takes care of the lust for results

that we magicians seek to avoid.

There is nothing else to do but relax, unwind, and let go.

And call upon the spirits...

Magickally,

BBB
blackanddarkmagickthatworks.wordpress.com

supernaturalmagicklab.wordpress.com

youcandomagicthatworks.wordpress.com

Topic author
31 Sword Illusion

Post#8 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:37 pm

Thank you BrotherButterball.

And thank you BrotherButterball and Vovin for helping I and others discover this incredible book.
If it hadn't been for the two of you (and all the work you've both put in, in spreading
the word about this text, explaining it, etc.), I would have never heard about it. You both have my deepest thanks.

(edit- fixed misspelling)