Question Re:magic mentor

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
babyface

Question Re:magic mentor

Post#1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:34 pm

I am new to the forum and loving it. I have picked up quite a bit of information regarding NAP here. I am almost done reading the book. I am curious to know if anyone of you that work with a magic mentor ever ask for their names for example with a pendulum and letter chart?

IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Re: Question Re:magic mentor

Post#2 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:21 am

babyface wrote:I am new to the forum and loving it. I have picked up quite a bit of information regarding NAP here. I am almost done reading the book. I am curious to know if anyone of you that work with a magic mentor ever ask for their names for example with a pendulum and letter chart?

I just invited mine in this arvo (I'd kind of put this off) and asked him his name, and he just told me. I would be going into la-la-land if I thought that was his actual name (rather not share) but if he's happy to work with me under that moniker, then it's like me on here answering to IronOrchid - which, as some of the VERY astute among you may have guessed, is not what my momma called me, when first I graced this world... :ugeek: :lol:

Generally speaking, I've found Spirit (I'm using that term broadly mind you, and I am new to ceremonial magick) tends to only spell out words you don't already have in your own vocabulary bank, otherwise they just use your existing inner language - this is how 1. you or I can communicate with dudes who never spoke a word of English in their lives and 2. can have, as happened to me, a Goddess form tell me to "stop nancying about"... :oops: :lol:

Sort of like the way a website loads onto your computer, and then uses the fonts it finds there to display the text content - but if it wanted to display something you didn't have the right font for, the site would have to display a jpeg exact image of that lettering, if you see what I mean? Just my theory mind you, but one that's so far stood the test of time. 8-)

How's yours going - have you got a name? Sometimes I've found if [some being you interact with] doesn't want to give you a name, but they're up for working with you, you can offer them one and say "may I address you as this?" and that might go down well?
"...there's no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Captain James T Kirk

lenvdb
Zelator

Post#3 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:01 pm

I got a Name for my HGA - using the Agrippa method...

And while doing some Pendulum work recently my HGA instructed me to invoke Him often using this name...

Not that I know how to SAY a name like this!

:D
Wanderer_Sag
Neophyte
In matters of religion it is easy to deceive a man - it is hardest to un-deceive him.
Blog: http://wanderersag.blogspot.com/

Bluetorch
Neophyte

Post#4 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:30 am

IronOrchid wrote:
babyface wrote:I am new to the forum and loving it. I have picked up quite a bit of information regarding NAP here. I am almost done reading the book. I am curious to know if anyone of you that work with a magic mentor ever ask for their names for example with a pendulum and letter chart?

I just invited mine in this arvo (I'd kind of put this off) and asked him his name, and he just told me. I would be going into la-la-land if I thought that was his actual name (rather not share) but if he's happy to work with me under that moniker, then it's like me on here answering to IronOrchid - which, as some of the VERY astute among you may have guessed, is not what my momma called me, when first I graced this world... :ugeek: :lol:

Generally speaking, I've found Spirit (I'm using that term broadly mind you, and I am new to ceremonial magick) tends to only spell out words you don't already have in your own vocabulary bank, otherwise they just use your existing inner language - this is how 1. you or I can communicate with dudes who never spoke a word of English in their lives and 2. can have, as happened to me, a Goddess form tell me to "stop nancying about"... :oops: :lol:

Hmm when you invite the mentor do you actually see him?i invited mine and felt his presence but couldn't see him.and found it kinda hard to comunicate.but maybe thats expected since im new to ceremonial magick and involking.do you need a trance or something to see him and comunicate better?

Bluetorch
Neophyte

Post#5 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:40 am

oh and how much time can you keep him invoked?in the book says to keep it short first time.anyone knows why?

Topic author
Brother Suroh

Post#6 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:14 pm

I am thinking it is due to building up your skill at it in order to not be disappointed at first as I experience much the same results as you explained. Over time it builds.

IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Post#7 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Bluetorch wrote:Hmm when you invite the mentor do you actually see him?i invited mine and felt his presence but couldn't see him.and found it kinda hard to comunicate.but maybe thats expected since im new to ceremonial magick and involking.do you need a trance or something to see him and comunicate better?

I don't know, I've been working in trance and semi-trance (ie waking but kind of more open/clairvoyant) states for a while now, but I think your MM will know your capabilities and present to you according to them, ie I don't get the impression they'll put on a bigger show for someone just because they happen to be experienced in a particular occult method.

I don't use full trance working with NAP, as well, if that's helpful.

One piece of advice I've heard from pretty much every teacher worth hearing is "proceed with confidence" - you've crossed the hurdle of "this is magick/all in my head" enough to get this far, throw yourself into it and see what happens for you? But don't fall into the mindset we all get hammered into us at school, that some people are "ahead" of you or anything: the whole point of magick/the occult is to experience first hand unseen forces, including the Divine if that's the person's goal - that's why churches and organised religions try to stamp people like us out, they want the guy in the fancy dress to be the sole arbiter of your access to all those wonderful worlds.

Oops - my "attempt to be helpful & supportive" reply just turned into a rant... :oops: oh well, c'est la vie! :mrgreen:

IOx
"...there's no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Captain James T Kirk

IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Post#8 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:41 pm

IronOrchid wrote:
Bluetorch wrote:Hmm when you invite the mentor do you actually see him?i invited mine and felt his presence but couldn't see him.and found it kinda hard to comunicate.but maybe thats expected since im new to ceremonial magick and involking.do you need a trance or something to see him and comunicate better?

I don't know, I've been working in trance and semi-trance (ie waking but kind of more open/clairvoyant) states for a while now, so I saw the one I called as I would normally se any spiritual being in that state - but I think your MM will know your capabilities and present to you according to them, ie I don't get the impression they'll put on a bigger show for someone just because they happen to be experienced in a particular occult method.

I don't use full trance working with NAP, as well, if that's helpful.

One piece of advice I've heard from pretty much every teacher worth hearing is "proceed with confidence" - you've crossed the hurdle of "this is magick/all in my head" enough to get this far, throw yourself into it and see what happens for you? But don't fall into the mindset we all get hammered into us at school, that some people are "ahead" of you or anything: the whole point of magick/the occult is to experience first hand unseen forces, including the Divine if that's the person's goal - that's why churches and organised religions try to stamp people like us out, they want the guy in the fancy dress to be the sole arbiter of your access to all those wonderful worlds.

Oops - my "attempt to be helpful & supportive" reply just turned into a rant... :oops: oh well, c'est la vie! :mrgreen:

IOx
Captain James T Kirk

Topic author
cunningfolk

Post#9 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 pm

How long did you wait before contacting your Magic Mentor?

What I mean by that is did you wait a month of performing "straight" NAP rituals before contact?
I've had more experience with the Mystic Grimoire, and am just venturing into NAP territory.

Have been using LBRP before and after NAP.

Maybe there is no need to wait at all?

Thoughts?

Many thanks.

Cunningfolk

P.S.I''ve been a "lurker" for years and just decided to participate.

MagiAwen
Adeptus Major

Post#10 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:39 pm

I don't remember the book saying anything about waiting.
Live lightly.