Wondering who owned my book before...

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Wondering who owned my book before...

Post#1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:58 pm

This might be a bit off-topic, but I find myself wondering what the story is of my book.

All I know is, it had its spine to the sun, and smaller books to one side, for a while - and the previous owner made a few notes on pronunciation in biro.

Do you ever wonder how or why the previous owner parted with their copy? I can't imagine giving mine up, even if it all went pants, so I wondered how do books like this get released into the market? :?:
"...there's no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Captain James T Kirk

amazed

Re: Wondering who owned my book before...

Post#2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:36 am

My copy of NAP had a lottery ticket from 1980 in the book when I received it. That made me kind of wonder about the previous owner as well.

aserth

Post#3 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Wondered that myself. My GF just bought me a hard copy of both NAP and "The Mystic Grimoir of Mighty Spells and Rituals(with talismans)" for christmas, of which the NAP has "4-4-74", signed "Art Hunter" in the front cover.

Perhaps it was personal growth/direction reasons as G.G.Cobb moved away from this kind of thing from what I can gather.

Gibil
Adeptus Major

Post#4 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:32 pm

I don't know that we could use ourselves as a standard by which to bsee other peoples actions or reactions to books and materials. That being said, a lot of people just buy books without ever getting a chance to read them, and some others get nasty reactions to the occult and end up dumping their books.

I try and make an attempt of going into used book stores every time I am in the area of one and it won't take me out of my way to go to it. Never know what your going to find and though you might go inside one 20 time's and not find a thing. All it requires is just a single trip to make it worth while.

Topic author
IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Post#5 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 pm

aserth wrote:Perhaps it was personal growth/direction reasons as G.G.Cobb moved away from this kind of thing from what I can gather.

Good point - I can kind of know where he moved, while not being willing/ready to do it myself.

I find I'm thinking that I hope good things came into the life of the previous owner - they appear to have looked at all the invocations, I hope they reached a point ther just no longer wanted to work with it. 8-)
"...there's no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Captain James T Kirk

Fio Praeter Humanus
Philosophus

Post#6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:46 pm

My copy has almost every word of the text underlined in pen, with several **** next to the spells etc.

Whoever the owner was they obviously liked and studied the text. Makes me curious why it ever left their hands. Grew tired of it, passed on, etc...

It worked out for me. Other than the underlining it is a clean copy that I picked up for $4.

Slater
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#7 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Mine was owned by Merlin. Smells like it anyway.

Noone
Practicus

Post#8 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Last edited by Noone on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By using any of the knowledge.

You are laid under a binding geas to use it for constructive magic working for the liberation of the universe.

Otherwise you WILL be surrounded by happieness and thus neutralizing the evil!

Slater
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#9 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:03 pm

they all smell like tobacco and old coffee though right? Or is that just mine?

Nicola
Zelator

Post#10 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:20 am

I like to see notes and annotations in my 2nd hand books. Shows its been used rather then just colleted and put on a shelf. I'm a bit of a notemaker myself but always use pencil.

It makes me wonder who I will pass my books onto.
Magic is not a shortcut it is a tool.
Using a tool requires a period of learning the skill to handle the tool properly, using a tool requires learing its limintations as well as its benefits.This tool is to enhance your life not become your life.