Help with working with Mercury?

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
Variance

Help with working with Mercury?

Post#1 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi.

I was told I should work with Mercury energies to attract sociability and to get rid of that inability to let go of things, so how should I go about working with the attracting and banishing ritual?

Also, according to Nathan Elkana in his short book (Taking Over a Group through Occult Manipulation), Mercury is often in what astrologers call 'retrograde mode'. Is this at all pertinent to working with Mercury in the attracting and banishing ritual?

(Note I don't know what Nathan means, and that's why I'm telling you guys about it. It may not even have anything to do with attracting or banishing Mercurial energies. That's why I'm asking.)

Thanks a lot guys!
Last edited by Variance on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Variance

Re: Help with working with Mercury? (from last topic)

Post#2 » Sun May 02, 2010 6:12 pm

A response would be greatly appreciated.

Darbla
Adeptus Minor

Post#3 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:16 am

Mercury retrograde is when Mercury appears in its orbit to be moving away from you here on Earth, and this happens about 3-4 times a year for about 3 weeks each time. The rest of the time it appears to be coming toward Earth. We're in Mercury retrograde right now until it ends on May 11.

Here is a decent summary I found to help you understand what Nathan Elkana was referring to:

"In general, Mercury rules thinking and perception, processing and disseminating information and all means of communication, commerce, education and transportation. By extension, Mercury rules people who work in these areas, especially those who work with their minds or their wits: writers and orators, commentators and critics, gossips and spin doctors, teachers, travellers, tricksters and thieves.

Mercury retrograde gives rise to personal misunderstandings; flawed, disrupted, or delayed communications, negotiations and trade; glitches and breakdowns with phones, computers, cars, buses, and trains. And all of these problems usually arise because some crucial piece of information, or component, has gone astray or awry.

It is not exactly wise to make important decisions while Mercury is retrograde, since it is likely that such decisions will be clouded by misinformation, poor communication and careless thinking. Mercury is all about mental clarity and the power of the mind, so when Mercury is retrograde these intellectual characteristics tend to be less acute than usual, as the critical faculties are dimmed. Make sure you pay attention to the small print!
Go to Top The Key Issue

The key issue here is one of focus. Mercury's retro phase tends to bring unforeseen changes and blockages, but the aggravation and frustration that many of us experience during these periods is often due to our own inability to roll with the punches. "
(from http://www.astrologycom.com/mercret.html )

Personally, I don't buy it. All that crap happens all the time, not just when Mercury is retrograde. And since Geoff Grey-Cobb didn't mention it in the NAP book, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

On a related note, I am working up a Mercury ritual for business, commerce, and prosperity. Mercury seems particularly auspicious for me, because my sign (Gemini) is ruled by Mercury, and on top of that Mercury was in the sign of Gemini on my birthday. If I make good progress with it I'll share it with you. If you want to look up where Mercury was at in your sign and read up what it supposedly indicates, here is one place to check. The Mercury in Gemini description really is a lot like me.
http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/m ... signs.html
As a witch, she naturally didn't believe in any occult nonsense of any sort.

hitman
Adeptus Minor

Post#4 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:09 pm

When working with mercury, I've found it helpful not to drink it.

Topic author
Ad Astra

Post#5 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Mercury retrograde is very much an observable phenomenon and while it is one of the most well known and maligned astrological aspects (next to the dreaded Saturn Return) it can be quite good for research and reexamining projects, relationships, ideas and the like.

When Mercury stations to go retro and direct are very strong times for the mercurial influence to be felt. As you know Mercury is retro now and will go stationary direct on May 11th. While it's not a good time to sign contracts, buy goods (especially electronics, mechanical items) for example, it IS a good time to Continue working with and investigating mercury. Try doing some work with him around May 11th and see what happens. But *do not* be fixed on an outcome as mercury is a trickster and can wreak havoc with your best laid plans. Try invoking that trickster spirit and see what you come up with.

I am personally a big fan of the invocation of Thoth by Israel Regardie. Im not sure if he wrote it or if it's Golden Dawn Material but check it out. It's quite powerful .

Also check out The Paris working in The Vision and The Voice by Crowley. They have some great bits of insight into the spirit.

A clue for further research: Mercury, and not just the Sun, correspond to the Sacrificed sheperd priest/God King -Christ, Dionysus, Dagobert/ect. Mercury is also an epithet for Lucifer.See Aradia Gospel of the witches for the Moon-mercury Diana-Lucifer love affair and further peeks into the relationships between these planets and the spirit of Magic. also Look into the devil card (ayin) which is between Hod (mercury) and Tiphareth (sun) and *SEE* what you find.

Topic author
Variance

Post#6 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:43 pm

So should I worry about invoking Mercury in the Attracting and Banishing Ritual if Mercury is in retrograde?

aedria
Practicus

Post#7 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Variance wrote:So should I worry about invoking Mercury in the Attracting and Banishing Ritual if Mercury is in retrograde?

A lot of people have a backpedal issue with using mercury in retrograde, the working simply does not work until mercury goes direct, or it works backwards. Sometimes this complicates a working, sometimes this can be used to advantage. There are so many different things that can affect a working, the only way to figure out what holds true to you is to experiment.
"For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect."

Topic author
Variance

Re: Help with working with Mercury?

Post#8 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:41 pm

So I can just start this ritual whenever I want then?

IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Post#9 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:34 am

Agree with Aedria - also, try looking at where Mercury is in your birth chart - which iirc you can get free from tarot dot com - not giving a direct link for not wishing spammishness. :D

But that's a good site I've used for 7 years for info like that, so check it out maybe? :thinking 8-)

IOx
"...there's no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Captain James T Kirk

lenvdb
Zelator

Post#10 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:29 am

In my Natal Chart, Mercury is in retrograde in Capricorn...

Yes - I am caution with communication etc in the workplace etc....
But how does Mercury in Capricorn in retrograde in my natal chart work against me? I dont know where to find the answer for that or how to fix it.

Any advice would be helpful.
Wanderer_Sag
Neophyte
In matters of religion it is easy to deceive a man - it is hardest to un-deceive him.
Blog: http://wanderersag.blogspot.com/