Question regarding offerings

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
confused

Question regarding offerings

Post#1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:33 am

Hi everyone,

I hope you’re all well.

I have been searching on this forum with regards to ‘offerings’. As I live with my girlfriend, it’s hard for her not to know exactly what I’m doing. She feels uncomfortable with me leaving any food offerings and would rather I not do it. She’s also not keen on me burning any incense as she’s not to keen on the smell.

How can I show gratitude without these kinds of offering? As offerings are not mentioned in the actual NAP book.

Is it a case whereby I just say thank you?

Thanks for your help :)

wizardscauldron
Adeptus Minor

Re: Question regarding offerings

Post#2 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:37 am

If offerings are not mentioned in the book then why are you even considering it. Just follow the instructions.
Hands that help are holier than lips that pray - S.S.S.B.

Topic author
confused

Post#3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:07 am

wizardscauldron wrote:If offerings are not mentioned in the book then why are you even considering it. Just follow the instructions.

Hi wizardscauldron
I was just searching through some posts where people were making offerings, so I just wanted ppl’s opinions/thoughts on how important this is, as it’s not mentioned in the book.
I guess as I’m a new, I will just stick to the instructions in the book and say a big thank you at the end :)
Confused.

wizardscauldron
Adeptus Minor

Post#4 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:34 am

Good plan. If I do something for money I always give some to charity for example as a thankyou.
Hands that help are holier than lips that pray - S.S.S.B.

Topic author
Martialis

Post#5 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:33 am

You can always leave offerings anywhere the particular entity or entities might dwell. However offerings can take any of several forms which can include giving some money to a charity that works within the same sphere, e.g. if you worked with a spirit having affinities with forests, woodlands, etc. you might give to any of the charities that aim to preserve them. Depending on the entity just giving to any charity would be enough but again you're not limited to any one act.

In his excellent book, 'The Sorcerer's Secret: Strategies in Practical Magick', Jason Miller gives a simple 'Gesture of Offering' that involves one rubbing one's hands together to produce heat (magnetize 'em and whatnot) then either facing the palms upward (as if holding a platter) or outward (radiating the energy). Then one visualizes the energy accumulating and taking the shape of what is most desireable to the being to which the offering is being made. The upside to this technique is that it requires no material basis or support and can be done anywhere anytime. Another cool idea is to do a sort of PR for the entity in question. Several folks have made posts letting everyone on EM know about the quality of the work of a spirit they worked with even using the spirit's seal or sigil as their avatar. These are just some examples be creative! Cheers!

O Delano
Zelator

Post#6 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:28 pm

I did something similar to what Martialis mentioned. I recently invoked Iaoth, Petayah and Opiel about a particular issue, and I stressed to them the importance of a fast resolution.

I got it, and in a satisfying way. So, I went on to my facebook page, and created a note briefly mentioning how awesome those three are, and how grateful I am.

Kappa
Zelator

Post#7 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Compromise with your girlfriend. If you prefer to leave food offerings, just leave them out for a few minutes. It's her place too, so I sort of understand that she doesn't want food out rotting and attracting bugs for hours, but at the same time you need to do this your way. Your higher Self is prompting you more than you probably know. Candles, water, and dry/sealed items can be used too.

MagiAwen
Adeptus Major

Post#8 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:11 am

Last edited by MagiAwen on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live lightly.

Noone
Practicus

Post#9 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:43 pm

/
Last edited by Noone on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By using any of the knowledge.

You are laid under a binding geas to use it for constructive magic working for the liberation of the universe.

Otherwise you WILL be surrounded by happieness and thus neutralizing the evil!

Slater
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#10 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:43 am

O Delano wrote:I did something similar to what Martialis mentioned. I recently invoked Iaoth, Petayah and Opiel about a particular issue, and I stressed to them the importance of a fast resolution.

I got it, and in a satisfying way. So, I went on to my facebook page, and created a note briefly mentioning how awesome those three are, and how grateful I am.

A bit off topic...but man these three angels (Ioath is listed as an archangel in the Testament of Solomon)have come through for me time after time.

Actually...that wasn't off topic I was giving thanks :)

I sometimes burn incense and say this is to say thanks. I refuse a formal offering though. I work within a Judeo-Christian frame work where the order was specifically given NOT to make offerings and several times in the OT you see angels saying "don't do that...stand up" when men have prostrated themselves before them.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong to do offerings...just a bit of insight into why I personally leave it as thanks and but never a formal tribute.