A bit of reassurance?

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
caleb

A bit of reassurance?

Post#1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 am

Ever since I discovered this forum I've counted it as one of the best magical resources that I have access to, so when I saw that the New Avatar Power system had a whole subforum to itself I decided to try it out. Having acquired a copy of the book, however, I'm having second thoughts. This looks a bit like the worthless new age shit I've come across all too often, but I don't want to rob myself of what may very well be a very good resource based on what this site has to say. Of course, there's the distinct possibility that I'm judging a book by its cover (which, I suppose, I am. :D ). So: I'm looking for a little reassurance that the time I'm thinking of spending with this system won't be wasted. Thanks! ;)

Rhett
Neophyte

Re: A bit of reassurance?

Post#2 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

I think the rather lengthy testimonials throughout this forum about the NAP speak for themselves. I am not sure what anyone can add to give you any further reassurance. Just try it out and come to your own conclusions.

Pax
Philosophus

Post#3 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:57 am

I work with NAP everyday and I can say without a doubt that it works. The book is defiantly not "worthless new age shit"; maybe it's the thought of vibrating those names (Adonai, Eh Heh Yeh, etc) thats making you wonder. Well, those same names are used in many other magical workings, including the LBRP. Those are the names of God, I think. Just try the rituals with an open mind. Good luck! :D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Topic author
caleb

Post#4 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 am

lol yah i was a bit drunk when i posted this so... yeah. It's just kind of the style of presentation that was a bit offputting i suppose. I haven't read it yet so I'm in no position to comment on the material itself (lol). As for all that qabalistic stuff you mentioned, yeah i have no problems with that, it's just the kind of promises and stuff on the covers, the kind of stuff it said in the intro, etc. Idk i guess maybe that's how all books back then looked. So: here goes! lol :toss

Topic author
caleb

Post#5 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Well. I am impressed. In the beginning this book looked like one of those fluffy new age self help books (a la "The Secret") but as I've read it I see now that it's a rock solid, no fluff modern grimoire. I tried the relaxation ritual thingy, and it was incredible. I could feel the power of the words exerting itself even as I just read it silently without following any of the instructions about posture and lighting, etc. I am a convert! :D

Aum
Zelator

Post#6 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:29 am

caleb wrote: Having acquired a copy of the book, however, I'm having second thoughts. This looks a bit like the worthless new age shit I've come across all too often, but I don't want to rob myself of what may very well be a very good resource based on what this site has to say. Of course, there's the distinct possibility that I'm judging a book by its cover (which, I suppose, I am. :D ). So: I'm looking for a little reassurance that the time I'm thinking of spending with this system won't be wasted. Thanks! ;)

Why do people always look down on New Age Literature as if something bad? This has become a strange trend since most Adepts know New Age material is not 'New' at all but rather Old Wisdom resurfacing. If it hadn't been for the New Age movements and organizations like Theosophy and Rosicrucians much occult knowledge would still be hidden to the West. I do think that concepts like Karma and Reincarnation make people nervous and uneasy and not really understanding they dismiss it. But we all know that with certain power (knowledge) comes great responsibility. What these authors are doing is simply stating what they know from experience of these laws so that you do not get so absorbed with power that you believe yourself immune from Divine Justice to continously abuse Nature's law to harm or get your way with others. Of course 'Justice' is not really the term I would use to describe this, but I'm not going to get into that since the topic has been greatly discussed elsewhere.

R. Eugene Laughlin
Adeptus Minor

Post#7 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 am

Aum wrote:
Why do people always look down on New Age Literature as if something bad?

A lot of New Age literature is bad, for a variety of reasons that I'm willing to discuss if there's enough interest.

Aum wrote:This has become a strange trend since most Adepts know New Age material is not 'New' at all but rather Old Wisdom resurfacing.

Taken a survey of "most adepts" have you?

Aum wrote:If it hadn't been for the New Age movements and organizations like Theosophy and Rosicrucians much occult knowledge would still be hidden to the West.

That's overstated and inaccurate. What they are responsible for is popularizing a particular interpretation of esoteric literature. We should take care to avoid confusing "an interpretation" with "knowledge." The literature is what it is, and not everyone that reads it and works with it comes away typical "New Age" ideas.

Aum wrote: I do think that concepts like Karma and Reincarnation make people nervous and uneasy and not really understanding they dismiss it.

Out of curiosity, what does "karma" mean to you, Aum?

Aum
Zelator

Post#8 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:27 am

Eugene,

There is obvious interest if I took the time to respond to the discussion. Do please enlighten me with why you think the New Age is 'bad' and I will give you my interpretation of Karma.

That's overstated and inaccurate. What they are responsible for is popularizing a particular interpretation of esoteric literature. We should take care to avoid confusing "an interpretation" with "knowledge." The literature is what it is, and not everyone that reads it and works with it comes away typical "New Age" ideas.

This statement leaves much to be desired. I am also curious of what you mean of this 'popularizing particular interpretation of literature.' If you are referring to Karma, is is not the only thing they popularized.

Topic author
caleb

Post#9 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:27 pm

Awesome post, Eugene.

@Aum The very best thing you can say about the new age movement is that it's a harmless watering down of the western tradition. To actually say that, though, would be optimistic in proportions worthy of Forrest Gump. A good portion of the new age's roots are in Theosophy (as you pointed out earlier). If you take even a cursory look at Theosophy you'll see that it is batshit insane. Besides the harmless lunacies (Atlantis theorizing, etc.), there are also very dangerous ones. Ever wonder where Hitler got his ideas about Aryan supremacy, Jews being subhuman, etc.? From Blavatsky's "The Secret Doctrine." Putting aside all these problems with factual accuracy that seem to plague Theosophy, you also have their spiritual deception. I'm sure you've heard of Jiddhu Krishnamurti? Well, he was trained from birth to play the part of messiah for the Theosophists when he got older to help them gain more power. That didn't pan out, and the story is very inspiring, but I won't go into it here. The point is, that with its roots in shitholes like Theosophy, how could anything good come of the new age?

O Delano
Zelator

Post#10 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm

I realize that by posting what I'm about to, I'm taking this thread even more off-topic. I'll try to end it with something on-topic though.

Aum, there are many reasons that New Age is a bad thing. I agree with everything Caleb and Eugene posted about it above. In addition, however, all you have to do is look at many of the people who follow it as well as other religions and philosophies that have been influences by it.

Many of its followers are harmless. But some are crazy, and New Age has a very unfortunate feature in that it amplifies a person's insanity and gives it a justification. I still remember a falling-out I had with a New Age friend because she couldn't handle my "energy" at a time when I was really depressed and stressed out. If a New Ager is angry with you and bitches you out, it's hard to tell because they will lace it with so much "love" and "energy" and all kinds of pseudo-psychological terms that on top of being left dejected and angry, you're also confused as hell. And New Age beliefs tend to lend all manner of scapegoating techniques...once again, I mention "energy". I don't mean to try to indicate ALL New Agers...the above was simply *my* experience.

You can also look at modern Paganism and Wicca, and the ways in which they've been dumbed and watered-down, to see what New Age can do to other systems when its influence is introduced. From the way all Gods and Goddesses are viewed as the same being, to the way concepts like Karma and reincarnation are abused...its all mostly a result of New Age influence. Back when I practiced Wicca, I was also very much into the magical arts. Due to some of those New Age influences, I always came across all kinds of outrageous, irrational reasons to NOT do magic that I eventually ended up paralyzed in that regard and didn't really practice magic.

It's really sad, too, because the New Age movement didn't have to be this way. I think originally its purpose, and to an extent that of Theosophy as well, was a way to introduce and make available eastern mystical concepts to western people.

As for the topic of this thread...to the OP, NAP is definitely a solid little system. I was surprised to find out that the attack & defense spells call upon angels from the Shemhamphorasch. The problem that makes it seem like New Age tripe is the era in which is was written and published...and the particular publisher at that time. The publisher was Parker Brothers, and for books falling under occult topics, it was their practice to have the authors hype up the text to make it seem all the more fantastic and amazing. Thus, you have the book as it's written.

As for its effectiveness, many have had great success. I had some success at first, but things took a complete 180 on me resulting in me not being willing to work with the system for the time being. But that's my own issue and not a topic for this thread...