If NAP is one of the most effective and easiest grimoires...

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

travsha
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Re: If NAP is one of the most effective and easiest grimoire

Post#11 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Maybe the author moved on because he wanted something more then effectiveness - fulfillment. I see many practitioners get so caught up in what they can do with magick, they forget what they should do with magick. Making stuff happen is useful and fun, but it's most powerful when paired alongside reflection and discovery of the divine within yourself and the world around you. For many, magick becomes food for the ego instead of a means for self-improvement: they keep wanting bigger spells and bigger results, and forget about balance.

Of course, it could be many things, but that is at least one idea that makes sense why someone would move on from an "effective" system. That, or boredom....
Life is a continuous string of miracles =)
http://www.soulremedy.org

wright
Zelator

you said it

Post#12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:49 pm

travsha wrote:Maybe the author moved on because he wanted something more then effectiveness - fulfillment. I see many practitioners get so caught up in what they can do with magick, they forget what they should do with magick. Making stuff happen is useful and fun, but it's most powerful when paired alongside reflection and discovery of the divine within yourself and the world around you. For many, magick becomes food for the ego instead of a means for self-improvement: they keep wanting bigger spells and bigger results, and forget about balance.

Of course, it could be many things, but that is at least one idea that makes sense why someone would move on from an "effective" system. That, or boredom....

Exactly

It could be that many mages want the world to change but they themselves do not want to change.

After a while you don't use the magic to change what's around you. You use it to change what is within. And i think that is where you begin to get the best results.

It could be that's why some people move away from the NAP. They realize that in order to continue with it, it is going to change them as well, and they may not be comfortable with that

BrotherButterball
Adeptus Major

Post#13 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:55 pm

I personally believe that author Geof Gray Cobb moved on from evocation

under the influence of his wife and daughter whom I believe are more new age oriented.

In his last days Geof Gray Cobb actually had his wife or daughter answering his email

and correspondence. I received some of his email from them and by mistake they had forwarded

this email to me. There was some issue about studioarcanis.com being about black magic and such.

However I won't go into the content therein because the man has passed on

and the family deserves their privacy.

Timothy
blackanddarkmagickthatworks.wordpress.com

supernaturalmagicklab.wordpress.com

youcandomagicthatworks.wordpress.com

Super Celestials
Adeptus Minor

Post#14 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:30 am

null wrote:
Flying leaf 2 wrote: it is hard to find dramatic success stories here like those mentioned by the author.

:goodpost

Null --

It may be 'hard to find dramatic success stories here like those mentioned by the author' for good reason. I'm not saying this to frustrate you but to encourage you.

Why would anyone want to reveal the phenomenal results of a NAP working when it could possibly negatively affect further outcome? My experience is that the results seem to be a 'work in progress'. If I recall correctly, Geoff Gray-Cobb revealed what his students had confided in him afterwards.

So, don't lose your energy and enthusiasm for the system -- you just may have a pleasant surprise one day.

wright
Zelator

Post#15 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm

BrotherButterball wrote:I personally believe that author Geof Gray Cobb moved on from evocation under the influence of his wife and daughter whom I believe are more new age oriented.

that makes a lot of sense tbh. i've seen that happen with another very powerful sorceror. i guess it just comes down to the suburbanization and gentrification of magicians when they finally bring into their lives what they always wanted: stability.

Graycobb 1
Neophyte

Post#16 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:22 am

My grandpa moved on but was an amazing man

summerland
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#17 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:36 am

Graycobb 1 wrote:My grandpa moved on but was an amazing man

Your Grandfather is Geoff Grey Cobb? Welcome to EM! :bow
"Ni neart go cur le cheile "

Silenciumetaurum
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#18 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:05 am

NAP and the MG are very effective--at least, I have found them to be so. However, there are some issues with the grimoire that we should keep in mind:

(1) you need to read the hyped-up testimonials to get full knowledge of the workings. It's true. Read between the lines in those corny stories and there are valuable implicit directions;

(2) most of the workings should be considered separate, with a few exceptions like Uncrossing and Defensive Armor or Br. BB's composite adaptations (http://bit.ly/OhYUXe); and

(3) garbage in / garbage out -- earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that one of the reasons the grimoire is so effective is that experienced practitioners are working with it. A grimoire is like a model of the universe. In order to make it work, you have to attain a subjective synthesis with it, which means seeing the universe in its terms. This means, you can't just pick up the book and work with it for a few weeks, expecting gold, unlimited sexual partners, and the heads of your enemies on spikes (as palatable as those thoughts may be). Disregard the 1970s new age salesmanship on the covers and realize that you have to apprentice yourself to this magical worldview. It's not like metaphysical software you run in your brain. It's more like learning a new language and understanding the world in those terms.

S+A
Aradia: Letters from the Dark Moon

If something is hard, do it more. Don't run away.

Flying leaf 2
Zelator

Post#19 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Silenciumetaurum wrote:(1) you need to read the hyped-up testimonials to get full knowledge of the workings. It's true. Read between the lines in those corny stories and there are valuable implicit directions;
S+A

Sorry for the question, but do you think these stories are literally real or they are just metaphors? What other purposes do they have? :thinking

Silenciumetaurum
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#20 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Flying leaf 2 wrote:
Silenciumetaurum wrote:(1) you need to read the hyped-up testimonials to get full knowledge of the workings. It's true. Read between the lines in those corny stories and there are valuable implicit directions;
S+A

Sorry for the question, but do you think these stories are literally real or they are just metaphors? What other purposes do they have? :thinking

I don't think they're real. I do think they're written to show people how to do the workings. Not all of them are this way, but most of those stories are actually useful for people just learning the grimoire.
Aradia: Letters from the Dark Moon

If something is hard, do it more. Don't run away.