Oshun Oxun or Oxum, Osun?

Vodou, Palo Mayombe, Kimbanda, Umbanda, Candomble, Catimbo, 21 Divisions, Santeria, etc.

Topic author
Pollyjoggs
Practicus

Oshun Oxun or Oxum, Osun?

Post#1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Whats the difference in the word you use for the goddess of love in the Atr's? Is Madame Eruzile (voodoo?) akin to Pomba Gira (quimbanda/kimbanda), or they are multiple goddesses?

I study "enochian" and I read that the first use of Babalon as a name is in Enochian, the spelling Aliester realized while working the enochian aires, the book of the law seeds to be missing such a name, it says "the scarlet woman" but Babalon, which is the first of two times it appears in the "enochian" system only appears in his writing after he works through the aires. The two are commonly understood as one and the same goddess, one as consort, one shared with every man and every woman.

In enochian the word babalond means harlot, as in "BABYLON HAS FALLEN, THE GREAT HARLOT", while it's spelling "wicked = babalon" is the spelling chosen for that name of the scarlet woman, whom at one time, while apparently drunk, A.C. called her "Hilarion". The spelling wicked is used ceremonially, as I understand, while the spelling harlot, traditionally isn't.

All these names and ways two understand a goddess, babalon (o.t.o.?), hilarion (a.a.?), or Oshun (sainteria), Madame Erizule (), Oxum (candomble?), Osun (ifa), Pomba Gira (), are the goddesses of the same force, in cultural perspective, or is heaven populated by MULTIPLE forms of what was a historically commonly held tribal goddess force? I am aware, during the am founding of Santeria, a handful of slaves with ties to the royal courts of Oyo were communally bought by others and became the priesthood that synchronized multiple such goddesses under the banner of Oshun, by way of avatars..... is that the simplistic gjist o' it??

When islam "unified" African kingdoms and began the "written record" of Arabic Africa, the kingdoms which sprung up surely congealed and the goddess force of one or another perspective must have shuffled, as was the case of conquest before. Conquest meant subjugation of the gods of the losers to the victors, hence shuffling. When the U.S.A. was colonized this wasn't so much the case, the tribal divisions we found were first obviously mostly decimated, however a careful preservation attempt was made, if not for god, for us scholars. The catholic church is the biggest example of conquest and subjugation, except the multiple gods are either male god or jesus or female Mary. If the goddesses of Oyo are one force, "female" current with memorable historic or mythic heros personifying aspects of this female force, then it could be said that this female force was channeled through Santeria by the enslaved themselves, under the saints, the force of "Mary" traditionally appointed. This is very simplistic, but I believe that it defines the crux of my query.

I thank you for the time you may spend formulating a helpful reply. HELP ME! Remember, i'm not attempting to group a bunch of dis-local goddesses into one unifying force, while im not completely against dissolution of belief boundries, im also not for cultural dismemberment in favor of one or another "monocultural" belief systems. I simply want to know, is the spirit in the lineage name, or do we share in attriubutes which when adored or emphasized ceremonially begets similar, replicable results. If one of you could help me, i would be super appriciatave. :)

Lux in Luce, Christus in Cruce, Deo Duce Sempiterno!

EDIT:

P.S. In "enochian" :

Bab = power/motion
Londo = kingdom

babalon = wicked
babalond = harlot
God our god will reign eternal.

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login