Yoruba heresy

Vodou, Palo Mayombe, Kimbanda, Umbanda, Candomble, Catimbo, 21 Divisions, Santeria, etc.

Topic author
Pablo
Magister Templi

Yoruba heresy

Post#1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:21 pm

Everyone is entitled to heretical thoughts in the ATRs as they should not strive for a cult-like mentality. On the other hand the problems start when we start acting out our heretical thoughts. An enquiring mind is to me healthy and more inclined to progress in a dialetical fashion that a static (because I say so mindset).

Looking at the structure of modern Orisha worship we see Obatala as the creator of human bodies, Chango as a divine king of the orisha and Orunmila as the deified prophet of divination. Any dispassionate viewer would wonder whether this is a patriarchal religion. I would say it isn‘t.

But

There is the persistent issue of the Witches. The witches crop up in Ifa writings in the new world and some individuals have argued that they even appear in the knife ceremony of Ifa. Certain Odu speak of the war between the Awos and the witches. If we look to Nigeria we note that the Awos respect the witches and the witches tend to leave them alone. Some Odu make reference to a war between the witches and the Awos. I wonder this is reference to the war in a reading is not a reference to the a primordial eruption of the distorted older (more matriarchal order) erupting which can further be supported by the fact that all of the major goddesses have strong association with the witches?

There is strong evidence that the Yoruba culture is only 12 centuries old. One can wonder whether the witches represent a previous set of female deities whose high regard was was overthrown by the Yoruba in the way that the bible seems to have examples of the overthrow and demonising of the Canaanite deities for example?

Given the stylistic similarities that are claimed by archeologists between the Nok sculptures and the Ile Ife Yoruba it isi possible that they were the ciultural influence behind the Yoruba.

Here endeth my Heresy (LoL)

Rgds

Pablo
The vulgar is at everyone's command. Eirenaeus Philalethes - The marrow of Alchemy

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login