Where to Learn more.

Vodou, Palo Mayombe, Kimbanda, Umbanda, Candomble, Catimbo, 21 Divisions, Santeria, etc.

Topic author
Provenant
Dominus
Dominus

Where to Learn more.

Post#1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:54 pm

Greetings,

First off, I am in no way trying to culturally appropriate a tradition. My question is, are there any general books, or sources where I could learn more about ATR's? I'm not asking really from the perspective of attempting to practice.

But, I have found the discussions on EM in the ATR subforum fascinating. And, I know I may be qualifying my statements too much, but I'm trying to tread extremely lightly as I have great respect for the culture and the history and wish to not offend anyone from the standpoint of misappropriating a culture that I don't have any history with. Coming from a Chaos background, I have witnessed a lot of joyriding of other's traditions under the banner of "Belief Shifting". That's not why I'm interested.

I'm interested because I'd like to at least be able to follow some of the conversations. Frankly, only since joining here some odd year and a half ago, have I ever had the opportunity to be around practitioners of this area. Other than the odd glance through the lucky mojo site, it's never been part of my history, family, or culture. But, since then, I've found many of the conversations quite enlightening, even riveting ... that is when I understand what folks are even discussing.

Sort of like when my son started playing soccer ... I grew up in a part of the U.S. where soccer did not exist. So for the first year, I had no idea what was going on other than I knew my kid's team was trying to kick the ball one direction, while the other team kicked the other way. I had to do a bit of schooling in order to properly appreciate what was happening. That's the gist of my question here.

Is there a book, or site anyone might recommend where I could at least pickup enough information to properly appreciate the ATR's?

Thanks.
Cheers,

Prov

=============
Ars non Fortuna

This topic has 12 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login