Theodore Rose's Art of Magickal Enchantment (Supplementary Uses of Black Pullet Spells)

New Book Releases, Recommendations and Reviews.

Topic author
Amxha
Philosophus

Theodore Rose's Art of Magickal Enchantment (Supplementary Uses of Black Pullet Spells)

Post#1 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:54 am

Hi ya'll, I'm back again with another review of a modern Black Pullet Rehash.
Here is a free copy of the original grimoire that provides the source material for this book:
https://archive.org/details/ABDOOBIBODDAH_YAHOO_TBP

Continue reading below for quickref charts for uses of TBP Seals + Rose's Amended Uses!

Last time it was a review of Nagel's Djinn Conjurations, a 6-page ebook (with 5 pages of spells) costing $7+ dollars...
You can read that book review here to contrast and compare it with this one (the contrast is very helpful).

Review on Nagel's Djinn Conjurations: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17843

...this time it's Theodore Rose's "The Art of Magickal Enchantment: Influence, Command, & Control",
an 89-page book for $6.99 on Kindle.

The majority of the book is mostly page filler prose in the introductory chapters, giving a long-winded spiel of the author's personal ethics/morality on the use of spells, as well as their opinion on the current market of elemental magic books. The author brings up elemental magic books after explaining their belief that the spirits behind TBP are aligned with a fiery nature, and calls them "fire spirits".

I personally agree with this after having experimented with the book for sometime-- the spirits called up in the incantations w/ the seals definitely run "hotter", though most go-to grimoire spirits usually run somewhat hot, including many frequently called angels.

It's my opinion that any reader who likes works based on classic grimoires should become acquainted with the temperamental/elemental quality system (Hot, Cold, Wet, Dry), since it is intrinsic to any text within the hermetic tradition of classic grimoires (ie Key of Solomon, Ars Goetia, Grand Grimoire, etc.)

Getting back on topic with the book review, this book provides a decent list of supplemental and alternative uses of Black Pullet Seals. This is probably the best selling point of the book for any TBP enthusiasts or collectors.

I made a full comparison chart with the original prescribed uses of all 22 TBP seals, the names called, and then Rose's 20 alternate or amended uses along with provided pronunciation keys.
I mainly made it for my own referential use-- I already had made a TBP reference chart many months ago, so it was no big deal to just make some secondary charts for Rose's book since I was already sitting on my own personal glossary.

The rest of the chart will be in the spoiler, to avoid clutter:
Spoiler: show

My final verdict on this?? Well--
If this was the first supplement I had ever found on TBP, my critique would have been much harsher.
But when compared to Nagel's higher priced pity offering compared to Rose's more thorough explanation of his amended seal uses... then the price point seems more acceptable.

The only thing that's holding me back from fully being okay with this price point is that this book seems more like the quality of a forum post, if that makes sense? I think its due to my time in the online discussion space, I'm used to folks putting out articles and tutorials of this caliber (and higher) in forums, and that's how Rose's book reads to me.

For example, I always compare any TBP rehash or supplemental material with this lady's free articles on how to use TBP seals in spellwork: http://hoodoohillrootworksupply.blogspo ... seals.html

So I can't shake the impression it feels like I paid for someone's forum article or freebie magick tutorial :thinking

(edited to fix some of the charts)
Last edited by Amxha on Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you." - Matthew 21:31

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login