Solomonic Staff- Neglected Alternative to the Wand?

The Heptameron, the Key of Solomon, the Lemegeton, the Arbatel of Magic, the Book of Abramelin, etc.

Topic author
Happy_Heretic321
Neophyte

Solomonic Staff- Neglected Alternative to the Wand?

Post#1 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:06 am

While the Solomonic wand and its variants is one of the most famous and varied of the Ceremonial Magicians tools, the Solomonic Staff is an often overlooked addition to the enterprising sorcerer’s arsenal. Although it isn’t outright stated, the fact it is listed alongside the hazel wand implies that it can be used as a substitute to its more famous sibling.

The KoS states that the staff ought to be made of elder wood, rosewood, or cane. However, Joseph Peterson’s commentary on “Esoteric Archives” reads that earlier editions of the Key list only cane as the wood necessary to make the staff. Cane, in this case is noted as “arundo donax,” otherwise known as Spanish Reed or Giant Reed.

The reed is often considered a bamboo substitute, and can grow as much as 4 inches a day. It’s often used to make instruments, arrow shoots, and unsurprisingly, walking sticks. Its mythological history doesn’t appear to be as colorful as hazel or elder. It is, however, sometimes associated with the god Pan.

With this in mind, I’ve begun to consider making the staff in lieu of the wand. This is because hazel does not grow naturally where I live, nor can it grow effectively without a lot of care and knowledge that I don’t possess. Giant Reed, however, grows everywhere near me. More than that, it’s an invasive species which grows and spreads incredibly quickly. Therefore, finding a virgin stalk which is less than a year old should be particularly easy. My current plan is to fast and pray for 24-48 hours prior to cutting the rod, consuming bread and water until nightfall, and then having a light vegan meal after dark. After this, at the first hour on the day of Mercury, I will go and cut the virgin stalk with a newly bought blade purchased specially for the occasion. The knife will be destroyed afterwards, and the staff engraved using the Burin of Art which I have already made to grimoiric specifications.

But I was also wondering if anyone here has opted to make the Solomonic Staff instead of, or in addition to, the wand? If so, what has your experience been with it? Have you used it only for evocations, or other spellwork? Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login