Odd Insights into Hekate

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

Sepherion
Adeptus Major

Re: Odd Insights into Hekate

Post#21 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:39 am

The gods can evolve and attain new functions and attributes... I don't get why people think the gods remain the way they were in ancient times.
But be thou sure that clear sight shall never man have here in this life: but the feeling may men have through grace when God vouchsafeth.

- The Cloud of Unknowing

Rubygirl
Philosophus

Post#22 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Does she have any relation to the Egypiatian God Heka (meaning activating the soul), god of magic. I could not help but notice the similarity of name and job.

Topic author
Leonardo_Drakon
Practicus

Post#23 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:23 pm

primalsage wrote:
Pablo wrote:
primalsage wrote:Any views on Mark Alan Smith's system of Hekate as Goddess of the Tree of Light and Death? Also the Mother of Lucifer and Belial.

My Views on Mark Alan Smiths writing are far from polite and would probably get me thrown of this forum. I thik it is far better to go back to ancient sources.

LOL please do share some I really did like to know and he is a little popular in the occult scene so. I have heard some people swear on results from his system though.. :roll:

MaS's "Queen of Hell" is a hodgepodge of pseudo-qabalah, chaos magic and dark fluff with no bearing in any historical tradition. In my opinion the "current" is wholely invented by the author and the spirit being worked with is a created egregore with no connection the Hekate of antiquity.

Sepherion wrote:The gods can evolve and attain new functions and attributes... I don't get why people think the gods remain the way they were in ancient times.

The problem is not the evolution and changing of a spirit or deity, but rather the superimposition of entirely unrelated structures, spirits and systems.

Rubygirl wrote:Does she have any relation to the Egypiatian God Heka (meaning activating the soul), god of magic. I could not help but notice the similarity of name and job.

I've pondered this as well. Historically it is difficult to ascertain one way or another, but I don't believe they are directly related as phonetically Egyptian Heka and Greek Hekate were not pronounced the same despite the Latin letter transcriptions. So the two names are not likely etymologically connected despite how we spell them today. However, my work with Hekate via the PGM has led me to view her as the very embodiment of magic and witchcraft itself and thus the similarity to the Egyptian notion of Heka is indeed quite tantalizing whether or not there is any actual connection.
----------γνῶθι σεαυτόν----------

Rubygirl
Philosophus

Post#24 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Leonardo_Drakon wrote:
primalsage wrote:
Pablo wrote:
My Views on Mark Alan Smiths writing are far from polite and would probably get me thrown of this forum. I thik it is far better to go back to ancient sources.

LOL please do share some I really did like to know and he is a little popular in the occult scene so. I have heard some people swear on results from his system though.. :roll:

MaS's "Queen of Hell" is a hodgepodge of pseudo-qabalah, chaos magic and dark fluff with no bearing in any historical tradition. In my opinion the "current" is wholely invented by the author and the spirit being worked with is a created egregore with no connection the Hekate of antiquity.

Sepherion wrote:The gods can evolve and attain new functions and attributes... I don't get why people think the gods remain the way they were in ancient times.

The problem is not the evolution and changing of a spirit or deity, but rather the superimposition of entirely unrelated structures, spirits and systems.

Rubygirl wrote:Does she have any relation to the Egypiatian God Heka (meaning activating the soul), god of magic. I could not help but notice the similarity of name and job.

I've pondered this as well. Historically it is difficult to ascertain one way or another, but I don't believe they are directly related as phonetically Egyptian Heka and Greek Hekate were not pronounced the same despite the Latin letter transcriptions. So the two names are not likely etymologically connected despite how we spell them today. However, my work with Hekate via the PGM has led me to view her as the very embodiment of magic and witchcraft itself and thus the similarity to the Egyptian notion of Heka is indeed quite tantalizing whether or not there is any actual connection.

How do you know if Hecate is willing to work with you? I hear she's no joke to mess with.

Topic author
Leonardo_Drakon
Practicus

Post#25 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Rubygirl wrote:
How do you know if Hecate is willing to work with you? I hear she's no joke to mess with.

Honestly with Hekate, I've found that if she is willing to work with you, she will make her presence known. If you do feel a strong inclination to work with her that can definitely be a sign in itself and don’t be afraid to reach out. Divination is a good way to determine if you should follow through as well. For that initial contact, a simple petition for her to come to you and guide you on your path along with suitable offerings will suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----------γνῶθι σεαυτόν----------

Rubygirl
Philosophus

Post#26 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Leonardo_Drakon wrote:
Rubygirl wrote:

Honestly with Hekate, I've found that if she is willing to work with you, she will make her presence known. If you do feel a strong inclination to work with her that can definitely be a sign in itself and don’t be afraid to reach out. Divination is a good way to determine if you should follow through as well. For that initial contact, a simple petition for her to come to you and guide you on your path along with suitable offerings will suffice.

Thanks!

Enchantress
Neophyte

Post#27 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:19 am

I am thinking Hekate was Turkish but with her you must give the sacrifice unless there will be trouble if you take from her.
Touch not the cat without a glove

Pablo
Magister Templi

Post#28 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:23 am

Leonardo_Drakon wrote:I generally don’t like to work with the celestial aspects of Hekate whether they be her possible solar origins, or her later lunar correspondence. In my practice she is primarily a liminal goddess of mostly chthonic nature. However, recently I've been having visions and thoughts of a possible association to the planets Mercury & Venus.

While these are not popular correspondences there are; however, definitely some interesting elements to consider. Both Mercury & Venus take on the role of morning and evening stars. In effect, they are liminal planets heralding and bridging the transitions between day and night.

Secondly, among her various epithets are ‘follower’ and ‘preceder.’ These are generally understood to reference Hekate's mythological role in leading Persephone to Hades and later following her out. However, this too can also apply to the planets Mercury & Venus who either precede the Sun, as morning stars, or follow the Sun as evening stars. This following and preceding can also be interpreted in regards to positions of the morning and evening stars to the new Moon.

Lastly, another one of her epithets is Phospherus (‘light bearer’) a clear reference to the goddess’ iconic symbol of the torches. And here again there is a link to the aforementioned planets since phosphorus is also the name given to the morning and even star (whether Venus or Mercury).

Hekate is often depicted and worshipped alongside Hermes (Mercury). In fact, in PGM III. 45 she is fully syncretized with Hermes as Hermekate. Following this vein, it would be logical to assume that a celestial manifestation of Hermes and Hekate would be the planets Mercury & Venus.

I would be most interested in anyone’s thoughts who works with or has worked with Hekate.

I categorically chose not to use any reference to the triple goddess aspects of Hecate. My imagery uses her having two torches as per a statuette I have see. Given the fact that some text suggest a close relationship and overlapping of Hermes and Hekate as descenders into the the Chthonic realms. Even in Hermetic magic there is a failure to appreciate the chthonic aspects of Hermes and hence the VITRIOL Formula is trumpeted as an alchemical tool when it is so much more.
The vulgar is at everyone's command. Eirenaeus Philalethes - The marrow of Alchemy

Enchantress
Neophyte

Post#29 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:10 am

Leonardo_Drakon wrote:
Rubygirl wrote:

How did she make the presence known plus what were your offerings?
Touch not the cat without a glove

The Warlock King
Adeptus Major

Post#30 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:16 am

Enchantress wrote:I am thinking Hekate was Turkish

No, She's rather Greek. The Turks didn't came to the Middle East / Asia Minor until the Middle Ages, and then they were already Muslims. In the Classical Era, the ancestors of the Turks still lived in Central Asia.

:ugeek: